Gold plated jewelry FAQ's
What exactly is gold plated jewelry?
Gold plated jewelry is a piece jewelry made from another metal, then coated with gold. Because the layer of gold is very thin, gold plated jewelry is much more affordable than jewelry made of solid gold. Once plated, it is almost impossible to tell the difference between solid gold and gold plated jewelry just by looking at it.
Why is my gold plated jewelry stamped with 925?
All Siiri & Stone gold plated jewelry uses 925 sterling silver as base metal. Sterling silver bonds with gold very well, ensuring your gold plated jewelry pieces is the highest quality and durability possible.
Will gold plating wear off in time?
All jewellery is endangered by the hard knocks of the physical universe. Rings scratch, earrings bend, and chain links rub against each other. Since the gold layer on your plated jewelry is thin, gold plated jewelry is a bit more vulnerable and proper care is necessary to extend the life of your jewelry. But don't worry! If the colour has faded or worn off, not all is lost! Your jewelry piece can be re plated which will make it look and feel brand new again. Contact for more information and pricing about re plating.
Do certain items wear off quicker than others?
Yes, in most cases, gold plated rings wear off the quickest. Simply because we use our hands for countless activities every day which means your rings are more exposed to wear and tear.
How do I take proper care of my gold plated jewelry?
- Remove your jewelry before jumping into a swimming pool, hot tub, natural hot spring, sauna or salt water.
- Remove your jewelry before working out. Sweating can have a negative effect on gold plated jewelry. Different work out techniques and equipment can also deform your jewelry.
- Remove your jewelry before doing tasks like cleaning, washing dishes, gardening etc to avoid getting it in contact with any chemicals.
- Put on your jewelry after you have applied lotion, make up, perfume or hair products to avoid getting it in contact with any chemicals.
- Store your gold plated jewelry where it won't rub against any hard substances or get tangled with other items. A Soft jewelry pouch or even a small zip lock bag is ideal. Best practice is to store every item separately.
- Just like sterling silver, gold plated jewelry can tarnish over time. To keep it clean and ready to wear, simply wipe it often with a microfibre polishing cloth to remove any dirt, oil and debris. If mild tarnish has already appeared, you may soak it in warm soapy water for 10 minutes, then wipe it clean with a soft cloth or use an old soft toothbrush to get into small cracks and crevices.
Sapphire and diamond engagement ring
Featuring a stunning 0.9carat natural blue sapphire and 4 accent diamonds on each side, this engagement ring is both modern and unique. Set in 14k white gold, it is dainty yet durable and sure to catch some well deserved attention.
Diamond engagement ring
Breathtaking and mesmerizing are the words I would describe this 1.5carat lab grown diamond with. Extra personality was added with 6 family heirloom diamonds that we took from the groom's parents wedding bands. Made from 14k white gold, this engagement ring turned out truly one of a kind and extra meaningful, and frankly, impossible to say no to.
Salt and pepper diamond engagement ring
This 1.7c gorgeous salt and pepper diamond is giving out all the vibes. Set in 14k white fold and paired with a roughly textured band, this ring was made for a modern and stylish bride who loves to stand apart from the "ordinary".
Morganite engagement ring + Ebb and Flow wedding band
We took this beautiful peachy 1.7c morganite stone from my customer's old ring and re-designed it into a minimalistic yet absolutely stunning engagement ring. Set in 10k yellow gold and paired with an Ebb and Flow ring as her wedding band, this set is dreamy, divine and so unique.
Moissanite wedding ring
Moissanite stones are a good alternative for diamonds and silver is a good alternative for white gold. Budget friendly, yet still stunning and unique, this wedding is sure to make heads turn.
Curved wedding band
Minimalistic and dainty, this 10k gold wedding band was made to fit perfectly over my customer's engagement ring, creating a complete and put-together look.
Men's wedding band
Combining 10k yellow gold and oxidized (blackened silver), this wedding band is both modern and masculine.
Emerald inlay mens wedding band
Pairing the warm tone of 10k yellow gold and bright green emerald gave absolutely amazing results. Crushed emerald stones were placed on the ring plank, then secured with resin and polished to a smooth and shiny finish, making this inlay ring one for the books.
Raw emerald engagement ring
Nothing says one-of-a-kind more than a raw, uncut and unpolished stone left in its most organic form. This 10k yellow gold and raw emerald engagement ring was made for a bride that loves to stand apart from the crowd while celebrating imperfections and originality.