Our jewelry not only has monetary value but if you're like me, much of it has
a lot of sentiments and memories attached to it as well.
With these simple practices you can keep your sterling silver and gold plated jewelry looking its best for years to come.
- Remove your jewelry while doing tasks like cleaning, washing dishes, gardening etc. Most people are guilty of keeping their jewelry on all the time, but it should be removed when there's a chance it could get dirty, scratched or become in contact with harsh chemicals.
- Both sterling silver and gold plated jewelry can become dull when in contact with a lot of water and certain chemicals. It is a good idea to remove your jewelry before jumping into a swimming pool, hot tub or a natural hot spring.
- Hair sprays, lotions and makeup can build up on your jewelry. Best practice is to put your jewelry on after you finish getting ready and take it off before you start washing up for bed.
- Overexposure to oxygen and moisture will accelerate the tarnishing process of your sterling silver and gold plated jewelry. For that reason, it is a good idea to keep your jewelry in an air tight container, possibly away from the bathroom.
- Only use clean microfibre polishing cloth for cleaning your jewelry - coarse fibres like paper towel may cause more harm by scratching the surface. If heavy tarnish has already appeared, you may use a simple DIY method to get rid of it. Mix a drop of mild dish soap in a bowl of lukewarm water